Sunday, July 21, 2013

Valencia

I've been trying to see as much of the city as I can when I'm not in class. I get out at 3, at which point I need something to eat, and then after that I kind of wander around. This city is gorgeous and has more plazas than I can count, and even more tiny little streets that wind this way and that. I have a map, but I rarely consult it. Perhaps if I did I wouldn't get lost so often. Eventually I figure out where I am, though, and sometimes I come upon something cool that I might not have found if I had taken the most direct route.

There are several cathedrals here, none of which I have been inside of yet, but they are all stunning from the outside. You can see many different architectural styles from one plaza to another as well. Apparently the "holy grail" is here somewhere, so perhaps I will attempt to find that. I guess that's kind of a pun, isn't it? Actually, I just verified and there is only one cathedral, wherein lies the "holy grail," and the others are simply churches. Regardless, they are all gigantic and ornate.

The sites are interesting, of course, but even more interesting are the people you meet along the way. I've had some nice conversations with all kinds of people, which helps me both practice my Spanish and learn about the city. Today I talked with a group of men from Senegal who sell sunglasses to tourists. It was an interesting mix of Spanish, French, and English. The other day I struck up a conversation with a policeman on horseback, who told me I must go see the river while I'm here. And yesterday I chatted with the Pakistani owner of a fruit stand. So not all native speakers of Spanish, but all interesting people. I did go see the river, by the way, which is not a river at all. It used to be one, but they diverted the water from it years ago and now it's a park, and a bike trail, and a playground... "un montón" of different things.

I can't believe my first week of classes is already over. It absolutely flew by. I'm looking forward to a couple of days filled with nothing but exploring the city. I'm excited to go see the food market, which is always closed by the time I get out of class. Carolina, our host, has also offered to take us to this great neighborhood known for its horchata, which should be delicious.

The apartment where I'm staying is right near Serrano street. Who knew? :)

The sculpture in the fountain in Plaza de la Virgen.

My street. In the early evening the light hits the buildings here in the most beautiful way.

There's a lot of interesting street art/graffiti here. This one is a commentary on gentrification.

The city center.

The outside of a bullring. They are impressive structures, but I don't see myself ever attending a show.

This building is right near my school. It used to be the residence of some marquis, but is now a ceramics museum. I happened to wander in on a free day. Bonus!

Another view of the same building. It's an impressive one, and I enjoy walking by it everyday on my way to class.

No comments:

Post a Comment