Thursday, September 30, 2010

A-MAZING

On Tuesday I went to see Ani Difranco in what felt like somebody’s living room. Okay, it was a little bigger than that, but still astonishingly small for such a huge presence. It was just Ani and her guitar, and that’s really all you need. She is a one-woman powerhouse of musical and lyrical prowess. I’ve been getting more into her more recent stuff and she played a bunch of new songs. She writes songs the way most people breathe - effortlessly - although she did say she’s been putting more effort into writing her more political tunes. She’s still very much a feminist and an activist, but somehow not quite as aggressive as she was in her early days. I was thinking how strange it must be to have on record, literally, the things you went through when you were a teenager and in your 20s. How much we change. It’s amazing some people can stay together through all of it. That was another interesting point she made, in a joking way of course, but I think she made a good point, that monogamy should be illegal until about age 35 or so. Because you probably don’t really know anything until then… and maybe not even then in some cases! Anyway, I adore Ani, as do many, many other women. I think for so many of her fans she voices so eloquently the things we cannot or do not say.

So in addition to this amazing gift of a show, I also got to spend time with my dog and a great friend at my sister’s in-laws’ camp. It was this freakishly beautiful day the day after the show so we went for a nice hike in the morning, which Paris thoroughly enjoyed (see picture below), and then took our time getting back home. Lucky days.

No comments:

Post a Comment