Monday, October 4, 2010

Weddings, love, and really bad song lyrics


So this weekend I went back to my roots, at least as far as my love for my fancy camera is concerned. I helped my friend Nicole shoot part of a wedding, the same friend I worked with almost two years ago when I started this blog. The wedding took place in this tiny chapel... located in a cemetery. Strange place for a wedding, I thought. But the chapel was cute and the ceremony was over in record time, which is good because I'm not a big fans of weddings.

I wasn't involved in the reception part of the ceremony, but I bet we can all put together the play list of songs, because there seems to be a limited rotation of wedding tunes. My friend who's currently working in catering can attest to this. Speaking of songs, I've been listening a little more closely to some of the music on the radio these days, especially the snippets I hear when I go into stores. And I've noticed that there are a lot of really bad lyrics out there. Tonight in Staples it was the Backstreet Boys, "I don't care who you are, where you're from, what you did, as long as you love me." Hmm... those seem like pretty low standards. And the other day in the car the catchy tune by Crosby, Stills and Nash, "If you can't be with the one you love, honey, love the one you're with." This strikes me as really bad advice. But of course the underlying theme of nearly every song is love - finding it, losing it, reveling in it, reckoning with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment