Sunday, December 20, 2009

Island living

Ahhh... this is it, exactly what I was looking for - an island that has most of the services one would need, but where the beaches are not super crowded. I've spent the past couple days exploring the island (there's not much to it, but there's a chill vibe), lying on the beach, reading my book, and swimming in the perfect temperature waters. Soooo nice. After 2 1/2 hours of beach time with SPF 30 sunscreen, I am happy to report that I now have a tan. It's funny, though, because tan for me is actually still pretty white in the scheme of things. Nevertheless, it's a start.

I have a nice little bungalow with a fan and private bathroom. It's actually quite comfortable at night here, so no need for air con. There are all kinds of exotic sounding creatures outside, though. With just a thin layer of thatch and mosquito netting separating me from these creatures, I was a little hesitant to close my eyes, envisioning waking up to some strange animal sharing my room with me. When I went to dinner last night, I left the fruit I had bought in town in my room, along with a little packaged piece of banana cake. Upon my return I discovered that something had gotten into my bungalow, bitten into the packaging, and eaten a corner of my cake! A monkey perhaps? Apparently he didn't like it, though, because he didn't finish it.

The only thing outnumbering the exotic island creatures here is perhaps the Scandinavian tourists. It's amazing, I've met folks from Sweden, Finland, and Denmark so far. I walked into town with a Danish family yesterday with whom I connected right away thanks to my last name. Today they actually caught my attention by yelling "Hansen!" on the beach. Haha. Apparently the secret is out about Thailand. From what I've heard from folks who've been coming here for a long time, I'm about 6 or 7 years late. It's still unbelievably beautiful, though, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I leave tomorrow on a speedboat north to Ko Lanta, where I will spend a little time before heading back to the mainland to catch a plane to Chiang Mai in the north.

No comments:

Post a Comment