Saturday, December 12, 2009

Waiting in Delhi

I left my friends' apartment this morning after a delicious omelet and toast breakfast prepared by their maid... relishing the last moments of being pampered before I'm thrown back into the world of being a backpacker. I'm currently sitting in the international airport in Delhi waiting to board my flight, which most likely will not be on time. There is free wi-fi though, so that's pretty sweet. There is also a Subway here, so I enjoyed what might be a typical lunch for me on a day in the U.S. This airport is pretty nice, actually, typical of most any international airport in the world. There is a huge duty-free shop where you can buy perfume, alcohol, cigarettes, and chocolates.

Yesterday I went to one of the markets in search of an iPod, but they wanted close to $200 for a nano, which I think is like twice the cost in the U.S. I hear electronics are cheaper in Bangkok, so I'm going to wait 'til I get there. I also had the good fortune of attending a Christmas party at the home of my friend's principal last night. Once again it was one of those surreal experiences where you are in a foreign country but feel like you are home. These folks have a ridiculous set-up: a huge apartment with an equally huge rooftop deck. There were candles everywhere and a seemingly endless supply of food and drinks - what a contrast from other parts of this city and this country. It might be the only holiday party I attend this year, though, so it was nice, complete with Christmas tunes in the background. Had it been 40 degrees cooler and snowing, it really would have felt like home.

I will arrive in Bangkok around 7:30 tonight. I'm excited and a bit apprehensive as well. Just as I'm beginning to feel really comfortable navigating India, I will have to decipher a new set of rules and cultural expectations... all in a decidedly more challenging language. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment