Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hello, Joe


It's official... Trader Joe's is coming to Portland! The rumor mill has been churning for a while now and lots of people have petitioned for it... and alas, here it is. :) I drive by the storefront every night on my way home from work. I remember the day I saw the "Trader Joe's Now Hiring" banner outside... I nearly drove off the road in excitement. I realize this makes me a serious food nerd, but I got hooked on Joe's way back in my California days. It's a simple concept: a limited selection of really good food at really good prices. I think the best thing about it for me is the limited selection part. On the very, very rare occasion that I go into some megastore (Super Whatever, Such-and-such World), I usually end up wandering the aisles aimlessly, overwhelmed by the enormous selection, and more often than not leave empty-handed, having completely forgotten what I went there for in the first place. Kind of a soul-sucking experience, complete with harsh fluorescent lighting. TJ's has fluorescent lighting, too, but it's just not the same. So, welcome to Maine, Trader Joe's. We're glad you came. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment