Saturday, April 11, 2009

Eerie beauty

When I was little, my dad used to think it was fun to stop from time to time when we drove by a cemetery, to see if any of our relatives were buried there. He and my sister and I would walk up and down the rows looking for anyone who shared our last name. I'm not sure if we ever found any, but I do remember wondering why he thought this was a fun activity. Needless to say, Dad is a genealogy buff, so of course this would be fun for him! It's quite a science, in fact, and although I don't share his passion, I do find cemeteries kind of beautiful in a haunting sort of way. I especially like the ones in New Orleans and Paris with the mausoleum-style burials. It's kind of interesting to imagine the lives of the people buried there. The other day I was driving out in what seemed like the middle of nowhere and this cemetery caught my eye, so I stopped and took a few shots. It was a cold, gray, and windy day, rather appropriate for a cemetery.



No comments:

Post a Comment