Thursday, April 9, 2009

Now you see it, now you don't

My polarizing filter came in the mail this week, so I've been tooling around with it to see what it can do. I've been meaning to take a picture of this bookstore door downtown, so today I finally stopped and did. Conveniently it was propped open, causing a reflection in the window of the wine shop next door. The difference is pretty dramatic! You can either keep the reflection or eliminate it completely just by turning the filter. It also seems to make the colors richer.

On the short drive the rest of the way home I was remembering something we talked about at the start of our yoga teacher training. I think it's a Zen Buddhism thing: "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." And I was thinking about how I'm just really scratching the surface of this whole photography thing... learning new things, re-learning things I used to know. It's a lot of fun, and kind of like a puzzle. I'm sure there will always be something new to learn, which is kind of how I feel about life in general.



1 comment:

  1. Now that you're doing the photo course, it's great seeing you experiment with all these new things and buying items like the filter and tripod. And funny, the things that draw us to them ... like the bookstore door. It caught you and you went back to get it ... whereas most people may just pass it by and not look twice.

    ReplyDelete