Wednesday, October 7, 2009

No pics yet

Just a quick update. After more than 24 hours of travel time I have finally arrived in Delhi! I am sitting in my friend's apartment using her MacBook... so not much different than what I might be doing in the US, except that it's 90 degrees out and sunny, and I am looking at a new landscape of greenery and hearing a new soundscape of birds, dogs, people, and music. Hindi itself is a pretty musical language. When I first heard it I thought it sounded like a combination of Chinese and Italian. On the airplane ride over I practiced my Hindi with this interactive Berlitz game. I can now count to ten, say hello, good morning, goodbye, and thank you. They also included "I love you" in the list of expressions, though I honestly don't how that one would come into play for the average tourist.

In a little while I plan to head out into the neighborhood to see what there is to see, which of course is everything for me with these "new eyes". The ride last night from the airport to the apartment was a feast for the eyes all by itself. It would seem that traffic lines have little meaning here, even though they expressly ask you with bright green signs to "stay in proper lanes". The horn is popular here, as is shouting out the window and gesturing wildly to get another driver to move out of your way. I saw my first cow in the road, the first of many I'm sure. My friends' son says, "Wait 'til you see your first elephant in the road!" He also warned me to be cautious of the monkeys who like to hang around the backyard sifting through the trash. Apparently they can be pretty aggressive, and as I opted out of the expensive rabies vaccine I think I'll be keeping my distance. There is actually a stuffed monkey hanging from a makeshift noose outside the apartment building to try to scare them away.

So much for now. Time to explore!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds exciting. I wonder if the stuffed monkey on the noose scares them away.

    ReplyDelete