Friday, October 9, 2009

Three days in one

This is only my third day in Delhi, but it feels like I've been here forever. Each day is packed with so much information and so much for the senses, it almost feels like I live three days in one. Tomorrow is my last day before I head on to Varanasi and ashram life. We are planning on going into Old Delhi and to the Russian market for some shopping.

Today was amazing. I started out at Lodi Gardens, which was a pleasant walk on a hot sunny day. There's a bonsai garden in the park, along with Mohammed Shah's tomb and a couple of gumbads, or domes. The guidebook describes it as a favorite spot for lovers and there were a fair number of couples canoodling. There were also hundreds of chipmunks and several stray dogs. There are lots of stray skinny dogs everywhere here and it's hard not to pet them. I made the mistake of acknowledging one the other night and he followed me around for a bit.


The view from inside one of the domes at Lodi Gardens.

Because my driver is Sikh and I was asking him about his religion, he offered to take me to the biggest Sikh temple in Delhi. It's beautiful - marble everywhere, a big pool for bathing (if you have troubles you're supposed to come here and bathe for 40 consecutive days), and a large industrial-style kitchen. Every day they feed about 35,000 people here for lunch and dinner, free of charge. Everything in the temple is free - admission, the shoe check (you can't wear shoes on the grounds or inside the temple), the food, if you want it. It's a really beautiful place. And thanks to Mr. Singh, I was able to go into the kitchen and take pictures. It was really cool and I was feeling very National Geographic. ;) They also insisted that I try some food, a delicious creamy rice dessert. Yum!


The Sikh temple and bathing pool.


Making bread for the masses.

Also on the agenda today was the Gandhi museum. What an amazing human being - so inspiring. I also went to the Tibet House, a small museum about Tibetan culture which has rekindled my desire to try and go there. The last stop of the day was an outdoor market - finally! Now I understand why the indoor markets, even though you pay more, can be appealing. At least there you only have one person hovering over you; in the outdoor markets every stall is, "Hello, ma'am, you come look. Nice price for you." It was way overwhelming by the end.

So all in all, another great day in Delhi. I'm a little sad to leave, but I know that new adventures await me in Varanasi.


This snake charmer was in the courtyard outside the restaurant where I had lunch.

2 comments:

  1. that snake charmer photo is so cool! i didn't think snake charmers really existed....

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Very National Geographic" (I like that ;) Places like India just seem to have that Nat Geo feel to them regardless of what you're taking photos of. You sound alive. So much going on and so much to write about. Looking forward to hearing about/seeing your ashram life.

    ReplyDelete