Monday, October 19, 2009

Steppin' out

I have been at the ashram exactly one week today. I have been out of the ashram four times, and today marked the day that I went out on my own. It's been nice to have the help of Cecilia, especially her Hindi skills, but let's be honest - after I leave the ashram I will be very much on my own, so I decided that I just need to deal. And surprise, surprise, it was fine. I managed with my few key Hindi words and the locals with their few key English words. I got what I needed - bread, jam, conditioner, Oreos (OK, not really a need, more of an indulgence) - and made it back to the ashram. I even took some photos along the way. There is simply no avoiding the feeling that you need to take a long hot shower after each foray into town. It's hot, muggy, and super dusty... kind of like New York City in the summer... times a thousand.


A piece of clothing waits for its owner to return from a dip in the Ganges.


Said dip in the Ganges.


Not only are the fabrics vibrant here, but so is some of the food.

2 comments:

  1. Really interesting Mel! Keep the posts coming! Love the Diwali pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like "said dip in the Ganges". Funny.

    ReplyDelete