Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sea of humanity

I have heard this expression used to describe India, and today I got a little taste of that. Unfortunately we didn't get into Old Delhi, where you're supposed to see things beyond your wildest imagination, but we did get to two different markets. The first one you had to pay to get into and the second was a wild free-for-all that winds through narrow alleyways and tiny stalls. You can get just about anything you want - clothes, jewelry, housewares, you name it. If I had a house to decorate, I would probably be going hog wild. The fabrics here are unbelievably gorgeous - fine silks, wools, and cottons, all at unbelievably low prices. I'm working on my bargaining skills. It's a little weird to bargain when somebody wants $6 for something you would easily pay $25 for in the States, but it's pretty much expected.

Tonight we went to a birthday party for one of my friend's colleagues from the school. It was fun, but also strange to step off the streets of Delhi into someone's apartment and feel like you're back in the U.S. The ex-pat scene is interesting. Some people have been teaching abroad for most of their careers. I can certainly see the appeal and I think it would probably be difficult to return to public school after such an experience.


This is a pretty good example of the range of fabrics and prints you can find here. What I would consider dressing up, some women just wear day-to-day.


This was the crazy market. No personal space here.

No comments:

Post a Comment