Thursday, August 6, 2009

Hummingbirds

I am currently staying in a "solar castle" near the Rio Grande gorge. It is a large version of the earthships I had written about during my first visit to Taos in February. The house gets its energy from solar panels and a wind turbine, and its water from a cistern system. It's quite amazing. In the backyard the owner has a hummingbird feeder. Apparently hummingbirds' wings move in a figure-8 position, which keeps them hovering (kind of reminds me of water ballet), and their tongues are so long they actually wrap around at the back of their throat. I hope to get some more pictures of these amazing creatures. As it was, I had to wait a little while for these guys to return once I was out there... as if I could actually catch one of them - they're so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment