Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Ahhhh...

Today is an amazing day. Yes, I am very disappointed that the majority of Mainers voted Yes on 1, but I am certain that in time justice will prevail. Love is love, period. So I'm following the local news from the other side of the world... technology is incredible.

I decided to walk along the ghats here today. I've been practicing yoga every morning (with no exception, also incredible) since arriving at the ashram, but that has been my only source of exercise. Not enough. Among other things, I'm looking forward to the next leg of my journey as I anticipate I will be moving a lot more. Ashram life is peaceful, but rather stationary. I thought I would make it all the way to Manikarnaka Ghat, the main burning ghat, but instead followed a sign for a German bakery, which I never made it to, and discovered a maze of tiny alleyways filled with shops. I had no idea this was here. It is so much cooler than Asi Ghat, the main tourist ghat, with a much wider selection of products at higher quality and lower prices.

I'm feeling particularly good today because I feel like I've turned a corner. There have been moments when I've felt completely overwhelmed by this place. From what I understand, Varanasi is one of the most hardcore cities in India. For one, the pollution is unbearable. I keep meeting people who have been where I'm going, further north, and everyone tells me it's much cleaner. I never realized how much I appreciated sanitation until now. Also, I'm beginning to feel comfortable in my own skin again, so to speak. When I first arrived I felt a little like I needed to adopt a completely Indian way of dress. While I'm still respecting the local customs, I'm back to dressing more like me. I met a woman today from Montreal and we were both amused that bare shoulders are considered offensive here, but a bare mid-section is OK. So yes, I am learning, or re-learning, a lot, namely the importance of being true to yourself.


Laundry time.


The maze. Lots to see, but be careful to look down frequently to avoid the cow dung and huge piles of trash!


A fake sadhu happily poses for a picture, fake because he wanted money afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment