Monday, July 25, 2011

Silent on the scene

I usually don't blog this infrequently unless I'm home... which must mean this place is starting to feel like home. And it really is. We've been in Morelia off and on for about 3 1/2 weeks. The area where we're staying feels like our neighborhood and I have my favorite spots for my favorite things. There's the awesome lady at the market who sells the best fruit, and who always teaches me things when I'm there, like the names of certain fruits and which ones are maduro (ripe) and which are verde (literally green, not ripe yet). There's the churro place near the cathedral, for those churro cravings that seem to come daily. Who wouldn't crave that fried stick of goodness coated in cinnamon sugar and pumped full of chocolate? Mmm. To counteract those churro attacks, there's the health food store a bit further away where we get our granola... and sometimes ice cream. Counter-productive, I know, but so yummy. Very close by is our friend Azael, a.k.a. "Juice Guy", whom we often visit to order lunch and jugo verde. He delivers.

My students obviously picked up on my love for food because today when I walked into class they greeted me with a small feast. There was a container full of cooked chiles and tomatoes and a small molcajete (mortar and pestle) for me to try my hand at making salsa. They also had a little bit of masa and a metate (basically a tool for kneading dough) so I could learn how to make tortillas. Shortly into this activity, one of the students' relatives brought us all the fixings for tacos - fresh corn tortillas, chicken mole, and rice. It was so delicious! I was informed that this week our conversation classes would be dedicated to food, which totally made my day. Tomorrow they want me to try carnitas and chicharrones, both pork products. Normally I'm not a fan of the swine, but I've had a little along the way here and I'm told these two things are delicious. When in Rome...

Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera this morning, expecting just a regular old conversation class. I'll have some photos of these awesome students and the food we try soon. In the meantime, here's some of the other sights we've seen.

 This is Aylín, the daughter of Susana, one of Shayna's students. A-dorable.

 Carnitas. In other words, pig. All of it.

On Saturday we went to Paracho where they were having a paper balloon festival. They come in all shapes and sizes and were pretty fun to watch. It rained pretty hard for a while, but fortunately cleared up in the afternoon.

 Some of them are enormous. They're made out of tissue paper and held together by glue.

 Unfortunately some of the balloons don't fare so well. This one went down in a blaze of glory. Thank goodness for terra cotta roofs.

Paracho is also known for guitars. In fact there is a guitar festival there next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment