Monday, July 4, 2011

Yoga face

I was able to sleep in a little this morning and ease into the day with some yoga. When I finally emerged from the room I joined my friends who were in the common room chatting with Rosa, the owner of the inn, who arrived here late last night. After a brief introduction and a little conversation, Candace mentioned that I taught yoga and Rosa's response was, "You have a yoga face." I had never heard anything like that before, but I dig it. :)

Rosa was kind enough to take us around and show us a bunch of cool stuff here in Morelia today. We went to a market, which was mainly closed because it was Sunday, but we were able to eat lunch at a popular stall there. I had chile relleno, one of my favorite Mexican dishes, and was invited to try my hand at making some tortillas. It's harder than it looks to get it just right; it took me three tries before I was able to transfer the tortilla from the press to the griddle without it breaking. Yet again, I was amazed by the openness and hospitality of the people here.

Later in the evening we stopped by the square near the cathedral and there was live music happening. The performer's name was Abraham Salazar, a local guy I believe, and he was singing and playing guitar. We really liked his music, so both Shayna and I bought a CD. The general vibe in the city today was both relaxed and jovial. There were families all over the place spending time together, laughing, playing, eating. Although it's a French expression, it seems like Mexicans have a pretty good grasp on the "joie de vivre".

This was what we had for breakfast. It's a local specialty called gaspacho. There are different varieties, but this one contained mango, pineapple, jicama, chile sauce, chile powder, and cheese. I got one without cheese. Just looking at that pile of mango now makes my mouth water. It's a pretty substantial amount of fruit and both Carrie and I hit the "gaspacho wall" about halfway through devouring ours. We'll try again tomorrow. :)

Here I am working the tortilla press. At one point I pressed it too hard, causing the owners to kind of gasp and tell me I should only press it "un poquito," which is true because that tortilla started to sort of squish out the side. They were all smiles the whole time, though, and super encouraging.
This little cutie pie was in the square where the music was playing. I think Shayna wanted to take him home with us. :)

1 comment:

  1. Melly! Yoga face, I love it...your photographs are wonderful...keep em' coming!

    ReplyDelete