Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Choosing joy

I took a yoga class yesterday, not that out of the ordinary really, but it was not the teacher I was expecting. It was a sub instead, with whom I had taken a class before and wasn't crazy about. After a brief moment of disappointment, I decided to just go with the flow. I've been on the other end of this equation, after all, and there must have been a reason I was here for this class. As it turned out, there was... the theme of her class was choosing joy, something I've been reflecting on a lot lately. Life can certainly throw some crazy curveballs, but we always have the ability to choose how we handle them. We can focus on the negative, or we can focus on the positive, sort of glass half-empty or half-full. In my minimal dabblings into Buddhism, one of the recurring themes seem to be that happiness is a choice. I think this is a pretty cool way to look at it, really.

Hanging out with my nephews a lot lately, I have witnessed both extremes. These guys have what seem like the highest highs and lowest lows, running around shrieking with sheer joy or crumbling in utter despair (usually due to a dispute over a treasured toy). It's mind-boggling, honestly, but also a lot of fun. I love how almost everything is new and exciting to them, an adventure to be had. One of today's adventures was blowing bubbles in the driveway. Simple pleasures. :)


"I caught one!"

No comments:

Post a Comment