Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Deceptively calm

Yesterday was so nice, lying on the beach, swimming in the Gulf of Thailand... so peaceful. Even more peaceful because I walked a little ways away from where all the resorts are to find my own little quiet patch of sand. I threw down my beach towel and sunbathed for about an hour. It was so perfect until later that day when I realized I hadn't been alone after all... nope, I had many visitors in fact, in the form of sand fleas. "What are those bumps on the back of my arm?" I thought as I toweled off from my shower... "and my legs?" Basically every part of my body that didn't fit on the little beach towel now has a nice collection of bites, some big, some small. I guess there’s a reason all the resorts provide beach chairs here!

Not because of this, but I'm done with Phu Quoc island. There's a limit to how tan I can get and frankly lying in the sun is kind of boring. I know this sounds so ungrateful to all my friends and family freezing their butts off back in Maine, but I'm sorry, it's just too hot here. You don't even have to move and you're sweating. Tomorrow I'll head back to the mainland and work my way north until I find some cooler temps.


I have a really high tolerance for pain and bug bites, but it sure would be nice to scratch like this dog is doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment