Sunday, February 7, 2010

Tet is coming

So this will be interesting, being in Vietnam during Tet, which is the New Year holiday. Prices for just about everything increase, as I just discovered when buying my bus ticket from here to Hoi An. So it may be that I find someplace I like and hunker down, as apparently some hotels even close around this time. (Again, different approach to customer service.) I keep waiting to find that place here that I really like. So far I've been pretty underwhelmed. To be fair, this is also likely due to the fact that I'm pretty much over the whole travel thing, which I guess is good; get it out of my system. Not that I never want to travel again, just not for such an extended period of time without a home base. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I think I'm ready for some routine. A regular eating schedule, exercise, etc. I guess this is the ideal situation, really. I would hate to be going home feeling sad about it and like I "missed" something over here. I'm definitely ready... now I just need to get through two more weeks!

Dalat isn't a bad place to kill some time. It's a quirky town and it's got a lively market. It's a huge market, actually, where you can buy clothes, shoes, toiletries, produce, meat, dried fruit (I've never seen such an enormous collection of dried fruit), fabric, flowers, and currently a wide selection of gifts to celebrate the new year. I learned from a fellow traveler that everybody celebrates their birthday on Tet as well, which is an interesting way to do it. Gifts for this holiday seem to be mostly candy, cards, and flowers. On the bus ride here they were showing some Vietnamese variety show in celebration of the holiday. It was... entertaining.


Flowers galore.


Watermelon art. Chuc Mung Nam Moi = Happy New Year. It's going to be the Year of the Tiger.

No comments:

Post a Comment