Monday, February 8, 2010

Standards of cleanliness

A little tale about food hygiene, or how much do I miss America right now? I came to this little café this morning before leaving on my epic journey to Hoi An and ordered a white coffee and an omlette. The omlette was lookin' might fine, until I started cutting it and noticed a hair in it. Ironically I had just been discussing food hygiene with some fellow travelers the other day and they said their standards have really lowered on this trip; on more than one occasion they've eaten food even if they found a hair in it. Sometimes I can let it go, but for some reason I just couldn't this time. Do I say anything? Do I not say anything? I decided to flag down the manager and pointed it out to her. She smiled apologetically, removed the hair, and said, "sorry," and then walked away. I guess I was supposed to eat the omlette anyway, but I just couldn't do it. A small crowd of employees started gathering near the bar and assessing the situation from afar. When they realized I wasn't going to eat the thing, they actually brought me a new one. So nice! But... this one was undercooked. I tell you, if it's not one thing it's another here. Haha. Well, I ate around the uncooked parts, and that was the best I could do. I do think that sometimes America is an oversanitized culture, but I'll take that over this anyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment