Monday, January 4, 2010

Ch-Chiang-Chiang

I'm now on my third Chiang... Chiang Khong, a two-hour bus ride northeast of Chiang Rai, right on the Laos border on the Mekong River. I had considered visiting Chiang Saen, but decided that might be a litle too remote. I learned my lesson on that with my first island. There's that delicate balance between a place that is overrun with farang (foreigners) and one that is desolate. As it is, Chiang Khong seems like a pretty sleepy border town. Most people only stay here one night on their way into or out of Laos. I think I might stay two nights, though, as this guesthouse is super chill and has a beautiful view of the river. There are actually more hill tribe people in this area than Thais, so I may try to visit a village nearby.

Technically I have until January 10th to stay in Thailand, but I'm feeling ready to move on to the next destination. I'll be passing through Thailand at least once more as I plan to fly out of Bangkok, where fares tend to be cheaper. I feel like I'm hitting a lazy stretch of my journey as I get away from the cities and into the countryside. No complaints here.


View of the Mekong from the guesthouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment