Friday, January 22, 2010

Hot, hot, hot!

Today in Bangkok is like a day in Maine at the height of summer - so hot and humid that moments after you step outside you’re sweating. I literally only went out today for my meals and to do a few errands, like buy a few supplies at the drugstore and pick up my passport and bus ticket. I leave tomorrow morning for a 12-hour bus ride to Siem Reap, Cambodia. I don’t have a guidebook for that country so I’ll be relying on the kindness of my fellow travelers and the internet, both of which have been pretty sufficient for most of this trip. I did, however, sell my copy of Lonely Planet Thailand and buy a Lonely Planet Vietnam as I expect to be in that country for about a month, unless of course I just love Cambodia and want to spend more than a few days there. I’m going to see Angkor Wat just because it’s the place to see in Cambodia. I have to be honest, though, just the fact that there’s a wat in the title I’m not all that excited about it. I’m not sure how many temples I’ve seen in the past three and half months, but I think it falls somewhere between 100 and enough!

I enjoyed my favorite street foods today for the last time - fresh fruit, pad Thai, Thai iced tea, and of course the one dish that I don’t even need to name. I just need to master the art of making sticky rice and I’ll be able to satisfy this craving back in the States, albeit at a much higher price. If I’m not careful my mango addiction just might break the bank when I return. Of course I shouldn’t say “the last time” because the thief, I mean fortune teller, from yesterday told me I would be back in Bangkok in 2012. He also told me I would be going to Japan soon, which I just don’t see happening. I ran into him today and said hello. He asked me how I was feeling today and I told him I was feeling scammed, which he simply deflected and told me to do the meditation he had told me about. Whatever!! I’ve decided to forever swear off any sort of astrology and psychic stuff and instead just live for the now. See? Something positive came out of that whole experience - I learned my lesson!


Sunset on the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment