Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Vang Vieng

I'm now in Vang Vieng, about halfway between Luang Prabang and Vientiane, the capital of Laos. There's not a lot to do here, unless you want to go tubing (i.e. get wasted and float down the river) or watch reruns of Friends all day. No joke. Nearly every guesthouse/restaurant has TV screens playing episodes of Friends, all day every day. It's weird, but entertaining at the same time.

I'm using my time here to plot my next move. I'll leave for Vientiane tomorrow, but I'm not sure how much time I'll spend there. From there I expect to cross back into Thailand. When you fly in they give you 30 days, but when you enter overland they only give you 15 days. So... I'm very up in the air as to what to do or where to go next. I'm sort of craving another week at the beach, so perhaps another island destination.


The mountains surrounding Vang Vieng.


A little boy at one of our rest stops along the way to Vang Vieng. As if on cue he fell off his ball as I was taking pictures of him. :)

2 comments:

  1. Melanie,
    I have been following your adventures with particular interest and enthusiam. I am a high school English teacher at Hampden Academy and I discovered your blog though my subscription to the Maine Maven's blog. I have always wanted to go to India, so I was enamored with your descriptions and accompanying photographs. In the summer of 2008, I traveled to Vietnam and Cambodia (Phnom Penh and Siem Reap)for 2 weeks, so some of your references and pictures make me nostagic. You write extremely well and take poignant photographs. I feel as though I am invisibly traveling with you sitting on your right shoulder!

    You have mentioned several times that you have been contemplating a change in your life and are looking for items to maybe sell back in the U.S. or perhaps to import. I came across this website today, which made me think of you, so I am passing along the link www.wanderlustcambodia.com
    Be sure to read the my cambodia page. Food for thought.
    Safe travels,
    ;>Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Debbie! That's a great link and an interesting story. Definitely food for thought. I'm glad you've been enjoying the blog. I actually think I may be off to Cambodia and Vietnam myself in the next few weeks, so it may start to look very familiar! I hope you do get to India. It is challenging but beautiful. Please keep in touch and we can share travel stories. :) Melanie

    ReplyDelete