Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Made in China

Today I took the Chao Phraya riverboat to get from near my hotel to Chinatown., about a 10-minute ride. I can't believe I didn't use this mode of transportation here before - it rocks. Plus it serves as natural air conditioning. It was another beautiful day here in Bangkok. It actually sprinkled briefly, but otherwise it was generally hot and sunny.

It's been a while since I've been to a Chinatown anywhere, and this one is unlike any of the others I've visited. It was incredible, I don't think there's anything you couldn't find here. From sunglasses to hair accessories to packaging materials, the list goes on and on. It seems to be the supply hub for all businesses in Bangkok. I also stumbled upon the largest collection of gun shops I've ever seen in one concentrated area. Weird. I have no idea what the gun laws in Thailand are, but there must be quite a few people who own them to keep all of these places in business.

Not far from this part of town there's also a huge Indian market, row after row of shops selling fabrics, incense, and Hindu art. I've been feeling really nostalgic for India lately, which I would have never imagined possible at the heights of my frustration with the place. I have this knack for appreciating people and places way after the fact, however, so I guess this isn't too surprising. Plus, they keep playing this awesome ad for tourism to India on the BBC, which I get in my hotel room, and the images are stunning, many of places I didn't get to but would like to. I'd like to take another trip at some point and include a jaunt up to Nepal as well. In keeping with my love-hate relationship with India, though, a funny thing happened as I was waiting for the boat back to my hotel. A group of 3 Sikh men (many of the Indians here seem to be Sikh) were also waiting, and reminiscent of my experiences as a tourist in India, one of them decided to take out his camera and take a picture of me and a couple other Western women who were waiting at the pier. Grrr. This brought it all back, the feeling of being stared at and photographed like an animal at the zoo. I finally realized why I'm not that comfortable taking pictures of other people, although these ironically are the photos I usually find the most interesting... it's because I hate having my picture taken!! Especially when it's by complete strangers!

Nevertheless, I'm having massaman curry for dinner. India definitely keeps it interesting and I think that's what I like about it. Here's a link to the ad so you can see for yourself. If this doesn't make you want to go there, I don't know what would. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUFg-ujVqMI


Soup spoons drying outside.


I was especially excited when I saw these empty glasses of chai. I definitely miss sharing a chai with friends.

I like this picture for some reason. Maybe it's the guy's expression, or just the fact that he's riding a motorcycle with all that stuff piled onto his back. I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment