Friday, January 29, 2010

They weren't kidding about the traffic

There were three of us traveling around together in Vientiane. One had been to Vietnam, two hadn't. You could tell the difference because the one who had been here was the one who didn't wait for a break in traffic. Instead, she just stepped out and made her way through the traffic. I'm quickly beginning to see why. The traffic here is insane, maybe even more insane than India, and that's saying a lot. I haven't seen many cars since arriving, just a sea of motorbikes, bicycles, and rickshaws. The funny thing is, this is nothing compared to the big cities like Saigon and Hanoi, apparently. I guess I'm in for a treat. There are a few places, traffic lights, where you can "safely" cross, although at these intersections I've found that even when I get to a spot I think is safe, folks are turning left into the left-hand lane (they drive on the same side of the road as the U.S. here). So it's pretty hilarious. You really have to be on your toes. This morning I almost got taken out by a a pedal rickshaw, a pedal rickshaw! I guess if you want to feel alive, come cross the road in Vietnam.

Also, on a random side note, apparently Cambodia isn't the only place where women wear matching pajama tops and bottoms out in public at all hours of the day. It might even be more prevalent here than in Cambodia. What's up with that? I mean they're nice, but they're pajamas. ?!

No comments:

Post a Comment