Sunday, January 24, 2010

Welcome to India... I mean Cambodia

I arrived in Siem Reap last night around 8 p.m. Travel days, especially long ones like yesterday, are my least favorite part of the backpacking experience. Of course you meet some great people, but by the time you get to the new place you’re tired, hungry, disoriented, and all you want to do is find a room, a shower, and some food. I traveled with some cool folks yesterday, Andrea from Canada and Jesica from Argentina. Jesica had also recently traveled in India and we both agreed that there’s a bit of an Indian feel to this place. Maybe it was the experience of filling up the bus with gas, which consisted of two boys running up to the bus along the side of the road with three buckets of fuel and a funnel. Or the fact that the poverty here is so apparent; this is definitely not Thailand. Twice already when I’ve been working on my laptop I’ve had people ask me how much it cost. This seems to be the equivalent of the question that Americans ask when they meet people, which is, “What do you do for a living?” Sort of a means of assessing how successful you are and how much money you make.

The other strange thing about Cambodia is that the price for everything is listed in U.S. dollars and this seems to be the preferred currency. You can also pay for things in Thai baht and Cambodian riel, although apparently you can’t take out riel from an ATM. You’re given the choice of dollars or baht and if you want riel, you can only get them at a place of exchange. So in a way, it’s easy to keep track of exactly how much you’re spending, but at the same time it’s a bit odd to be using your home currency in a place so far away.

My traveling companions hit the ground running today and headed to Angkor Wat already. As usual, though, I decided to kick around town. I’d like to get a sense of where I am and besides, I’m not exactly in a hurry, so I don’t need to rush to squeeze things in. Apparently you can get up to a three-day pass for the temple site because it’s so huge. I’ll have to talk with them tonight and see what they think. It’s on the expensive side, for Asia, to get in, about $20 a day. I was already overcharged at the border for my visa, so already I'm a little annoyed with the way things are run here. You can get your visa on arrival, but the folks who bus you over offer the convenience of getting it for you as you wait and eat lunch at a rest stop, however you have to pay them about 50% more. A little for the bus operators, a little for the border guards. Ah well.

I’m staying at a place called the Garden Village. They only had dorm rooms last night, which consisted of a mattress with a mosquito net outdoors, community bathroom, for $1. Jesica and Andrea stayed there, but I decided that while I’m adventurous, I’m not that adventurous. So I got a room down the road, but moved back there today. $6 a night, with a fan and private bathroom. Sweet.

I spent a couple hours walking around what seems to be the center of town. Siem Reap is pretty cool. It's definitely touristy, but not to the point where it feels completely inauthentic. You can't take five steps, though, without hearing, "Hello lady, where you go? You go see temple? You need tuk-tuk?" I do appreciate the fact that they've mastered the difference between sir and madam here, but if I find a t-shirt that says "No, I don't need a tuk-tuk" on the front of it, I'm buying it. I'm just getting really good at saying no again, like India. The other thing that's prevalent here is kids trying to sell you things, like postcards and such. Their shtick seems to be, "Hello lady, where you from?" And then when you tell them America, they start naming off facts about your country. "America. Capital Washington, D.C. President Barack Obama. Population 300 million." And so on. One little girl asked me how long I'd been in Cambodia and when I told her one day she was pretty sure I needed to buy postcards from her. I told her sorry, but I wasn't buying anything, and what I think she said to me, in broken English, was something along the lines of "Sorry doesn't buy food." So... this aspect of Cambodia might be a little hard to get used to. You feel bad, but then aren't you just perpetuating the problem by simply throwing money at it?

There seem to be a lot of organizations here aimed at helping people help themselves, particularly the disabled. There's a pretty significant population of disabled people here because of the landmine problem. In fact I remember I did a big research proposal on it when I was a student at UNH. It's a sad situation, but it's good that there's help. One of the things these organizations do is train people to make things, which they then sell to tourists, and use the profits to fund the organization. One of the coolest products I've seen so far is bags and wallets made out of recycled rice bags, a brilliant reuse for this material in my opinion.


Baby bath, Cambodian style.


This man appeared to be teaching these young fellows something. He was kind enough to let me take a picture, but then of course asked for money. $10 I think he said. Ambitious. I gave him 1,000 riel, which is about 25 cents.

4 comments:

  1. hey there melanie, you can get riels out of ATMs in cambodia. you are given the option of USD or riel when you withdraw cash from an ATM (i use ANZ). on the other hand i have never seen the thai baht option. even at the border town of poipet i was only able to withdraw USD and not baht.

    the reason the country uses USD is because of UNTAC which at USD2bn was the most expensive peacekeeping operation at the time. blue helmets were paid a carpe diem rate of USD140 so suddenly the country was flushed with USD - it has been using USD ever since.

    glad you like the recycled rice and animal feed bags. we make them - pls check out bloomcambodia.com for more information.

    best,
    diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diana,
    Thanks for the info! At Poipet the other day the bank I used only gave baht or dollars and our "guide" seemed to be saying this was the case throughout the country. Good to know!

    I was actually in your store yesterday and passed by again today, hoping to run into you. Great stuff!! Thanks for the link.

    :) Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. no worries Melanie. when do you leave cambodia? am in singapore right now, country of my birth, but will be back in siem reap 23rd feb and then to PP on the 26th. thanks for letting me know about the poipet bank! i actually had to take out USD from an ANZ atm and change into baht at Aranyaprathet (http://cambodiacalling.blogspot.com/2008/08/taxibus-from-siem-reap-to-bangkok.html). anyway hope you have a great journey ahead. i'm sure you'll always remember your trip round the world. :)

    ReplyDelete